Section 8 Participants Portability

Section 8 Participants Portability

Porting to Other Areas

Your Voucher may be used to move anywhere in the U.S. and live in another Housing Authority’s jurisdiction. By using portability, you may take advantage of opportunities in another area: employment, education, being closer to family or medical care. Before you pack your bags, there are many things to consider.

What is Required in Order to Move Out of the Housing Authority’s jurisdiction?

You must be in good standing here with the rules & regulations governing the Voucher Program before your transfer can be approved. This includes:

  1. Paying off any debt you may owe the Housing Authority
  2. Complying with your current rental agreement regarding giving notice to vacate
  3. Providing income and family composition information requested to update your file

Things to Keep in Mind When Moving…

You are also responsible for carefully researching your destination to ensure the area will meet your family needs, such as:

  1. Safety, transportation, utility costs, weather and schools
  2. Payment Standards at the new location, which could be higher or lower than here
  3. Availability of units to Voucher-holders in that area

Moving is expensive! You will need to plan your finances carefully. In addition to your moving costs & new security deposit, you may have to advance some rent on your own, in certain circumstances.
Once your family information has been sent to the receiving Housing Authority, all of their rules, policies, and practices are in effect. The receiving Housing Authority will also be the one to determine:

  1. How long it will be before they process your file
  2. How many bedrooms you can have
  3. How long it takes to get an inspection
  4. What they consider a reasonable rent is for their area

For more information on Portability, please contact your case worker.

Porting to the Area Housing Authority

If you are a new Section 8 tenant (this is your first Voucher) your income must be below our Income Limits.

  1. Contact your current Housing Authority to find out if you are eligible to port out
  2. Request that your Housing Authority prepare your portability packet and forward it to:

    Area Housing Authority of the County of Ventura
    ATTN: Section 8 Portability
    1400 W. Hillcrest Drive
    Newbury Park, CA 91320

    Or fax it to (805) 480-1021
    ATTN: Section 8 Portability

  3. Call (805) 480-9991 to find out if we have received your packet and to make an appointment with the Area Housing Authority.

If any of the following items are missing from your portability packet you may be asked to provide them before we can complete your transfer:

  1. Valid, government-issued identification (i.e., driver’s license)
  2. Birth Certificates for everyone in your household
  3. Social Security cards for everyone in your household
  4. Income verification for everyone in your household

Remember you have an obligation to provide all necessary paperwork to the Housing Authority.