Step 1. Attract a Voucher-holder
List your property with us free of charge:
- Complete the online Section 8 Rental Listing form
- Download the Section 8 Rental Listing form and fax to (805) 480-1021 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us at (805) 480-9991
Step 2: Screen the prospective tenant just as you would any other tenant
Step 3: Get the Leasing Kit for Prospective Landlords from your prospective tenant.
Complete the three forms listed below which are included in the packet. Send them to the AHA. If you need assistance in filling out the forms, call the AHA contact provided on the form at (805) 480-9991.
- Request for Tenancy Approval
- W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identifications)
- Lead-based Paint Disclosure (for buildings built before 1978)
Return the forms to the Housing Technician indicated on the forms at:
Area Housing Authority
1400 W. Hillcrest Drive
Newbury Park, CA 91320
Fax: (805) 480-1021
The AHA will call you to confirm the information, answer questions and schedule the inspection, usually within 10 business days after we receive the packet. The AHA will approve the paperwork providing the following criteria are met:
- Complete and accurate information signed by all required parties
- Affordable for the tenant – if the rent exceeds the tenant’s budget, we may ask whether you are willing to negotiate rent and/or utilities
- Rent is reasonable – The rent is consistent with current market rates for location, size, unit type, and amenities
Step 4. Prepare the unit for the inspection if necessary,
Refer to the “Sample Inspection Checklist” included in the packet so you’ll know what to expect. If you attend to all the potential issues prior to the inspection appointment, your unit is more likely to pass and you will save the time and delay of a re-inspection.
Step 5. Attend the inspection appointment.
The landlord (or authorized representative) needs to attend the initial inspection. If the inspector uncovers problems you’ll need to fix before AHA can approve the unit (see the “Sample Inspection checklist”), the tenant’s move-in may be delayed.
Your first payment is prorated to the date your unit passes inspection.
After the inspection, AHA will send you a contract and the remaining documents (listed below), usually within 10 business days.
Step 6. Return a copy of the lease and the remaining paperwork to AHA.
Include a copy of the lease signed by you and the tenant(s). Use the same lease that you use for your other tenants who are not in the Housing Choice Voucher program. Attach the Tenancy Addendum that AHA provided to the copies of the lease that you and the tenant keep.
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract
This contract is between you and AHA. It describes how subsidy payments will be made and what your responsibilities are as a landlord participating in the program.
AHA mails your first check after we receive the lease and completed contract. Again, your first payment will be prorated to the date your unit passed inspection or the effective date on the lease, whichever is later. Subsequent checks will be mailed on the first business day of every month.